Director of IoT Platform Engineering, Robotics
Our client ’92s flagship product is the most successful consumer robotic product in the world; with US market segment share in excess of 75%, and a sizable lead in Europe as well, according to Adam Fleck of Morningstar. The company is now going through a momentous transition in strategy and culture: from standalone hardware-oriented products to the internet and software-based Connected Home ecosystem that presents potential partners in everything from mobile and voice-enabled devices to add-on home automation functionality. An engineering focus that once prioritized individual product utility has shifted to one emphasizing an overarching cloud-based, connected platform offering a user experience consistent with the aspirational nature of a premium brand.
The company requires a strong, technically astute and inspirational software development leader and manager to embrace this newly created role and help lead the charge to the company ’92s Connected Home future.
Overview of the Role
The company seeks a ‘a0software engineering Director for the IoT Platform who is passionate about developing world-class products, services, and infrastructure to help the company innovate and build quickly and with confidence. The ideal candidate will not only be an excellent communicator and coordinator, but should be technically strong enough to provide guidance for a world-class software engineering team.
Reporting to the VP of Software Engineering, the Director will be responsible for the delivery of software across three teams: Mobile Apps, Cloud and Connectivity. These teams will be delivering an IoT platform to be utilized across the current and future product set. This is a highly collaborative position in which it will be essential to communicate effectively with many other departments, including the other engineering teams, product management, marketing and IT.
- Manage a team of software managers, coordinating software development and test of the IoT platform
- Conduct bi-weekly presentations to the engineering and business unit leadership team, sharing status of software deliverables
- Identify key strategic initiatives to build the foundation around software development
- Set technical direction and drive developer productivity through best-in-class software engineering practices
- Ensure solutions are engineered for a secure, reliable, high performance, highly-available end user experience
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills by establishing clear goals, objectives and priorities that communicate the organization ’92s vision
- Ensure that programs of record are delivered on schedule with acceptable levels of quality
- Drive empowerment, innovation, teamwork, and enhance customer value
- Ensure that all programs are fully staffed with developers whose skills and competencies match program needs
- Attract and retain top talent to build a world-class software function and continue to upgrade competencies to meet the future needs of the organization
- Tenacious, get-things-done attitude
- Someone who is highly technical and stays up to date on the latest software trends
- Experience managing software development for mobile devices and/or cloud services
- Demonstrated ability to provide vision and direction to engineering teams
- Agile software development methodologies and release management experience
- Experience in a Continuous Integration / Delivery environment
- Minimum 10 years of leading software ‘a0engineering/application development teams
- Minimum 5 years of managing software ‘a0engineering managers
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering
- Familiarity with IoT product development, and the challenges associated with it
- Previous experience with embedded software development and/or networking