Vice President Collaboration Products
Our client is building the world’s most popular Open Source, all-in-one messaging and collaboration solution, which is used by 100s of millions of users, 500+ service providers, and 200,000+ businesses worldwide. In 2019 alone, the company closed ~600 new and expansion deals as it accelerated the transformation to its cloud-based business model. And at the beginning of this year, it announced a significant merger with a leading provider of tools to create, manage, secure, distribute and measure the success of live and on-demand video for the enterprise. The merger will enhance that much more the capabilities, Fortune 500 customer base and overall revenue of our client’s unified communications and collaboration solution.
The VP of Product will position the Collaboration product line for further business growth and will work hands-on with the Product, Engineering, Technical Operations and Sales teams to deliver products and experiences. This person is responsible for product direction, strategic initiatives, execution, and product team leadership for the company’s Collaboration products. This role will create and maintain product roadmaps after gathering requirements from existing and potential customers as well as recent evaluators. Additionally, this person will also translate product requirements into Agile product back logs and monitor the implementation of each product project.
The ideal candidate is a passionate product evangelist who has already successfully taken multiple digital technology products to the market. The main KPIs for this person will be roadmap deliverables, revenue targets, expansion rate of new products and margins.
- Build/apply in-depth knowledge of Synacor tools, platforms, and projects to formulate a revenue expansion plan for existing markets and new growth areas
- Generate creative ideas for new products and offerings based on competitive analysis
- Research and analyze new trends in the Collaboration product space, assess how technical trends will impact our product and the product landscape, and present these findings to Engineering and Product teams
- Discuss and clarify business needs with customers, product marketing team, partners and Sales as input into product proposals
- Create and present product plans, the product line, and manage the product lifecycle of the Collaboration product line
- Develop key relationships with internal product and readiness teams to understand the challenges as they pertain to features and critical testing areas
- Contribute ideas for team-wide process, product and people improvements
- Create and maintain program documentation including release milestones
- Conduct technical assessment of the Collaboration product line and competitive platforms and complete win/loss analyses; be an expert on the competition, how they are positioned and how to differentiate from them
- Recommend product line innovations and communicate the path to innovation
- Track progress toward delivering innovation by creating and tracking release milestones
- Manage the Software Engineering and Technical Product Management Teams
- Oversee a department budget for travel, training and team-building expenses
- Work with direct reports to set goals of timelines and employee improvements
- Attend bi-weekly company executive staff meeting, provide updates on customers and products
- Attend quarterly meetings with executive staff to present the product roadmap and customer updates
- 10+ years proven experience in technical product management in software, SaaS or cloud products, exposure to email and collaboration tools strongly preferred.
- Strong industry knowledge and experience with Enterprise customers, Service Providers and International Channels.
- Strong industry knowledge related to the Collaboration product line
- Effective product, project and people management skills
- Proactive customer service skills, responsiveness and professionalism
- Excellence in team environment requiring close collaboration and effective communication; i.e. ability to work closely with internal Sales, Engineering, Technical Operations and Product Success teams as well as Customers and Partners
- Experience presenting to a wide range of audiences including internal stakeholders, customers and the OS community
- Experience documenting findings and product requirements for technical audiences
- Exposure to product life cycle planning and management in an Agile development environment
- Experience managing projects across multiple functional teams
- Experience in managing software engineering teams, comfortable with technology (i.e. able to understand it and make appropriate product decisions)
- Decisive, agile and iterative; easily able to shift gears between thinking and doing with a proven ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Established ethos of “getting things done;” proactive style with discipline for setting priorities, driving decisions and getting closure on recommendations and issues
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent