According to a recent report by Experian, credit unions continue to increase their overall numbers and market share in virtually every area of financial services, ranging from automobile loans (25% increase from 2015–2017), through personal loans, bankcard openings and mortgage loans. Credit union members prefer the benefits of ownership, including a voice in the direction and operations of their financial services institution of choice. They also enjoy the prospect of higher member returns and lower fees, more personalized service, and the sense of fulfillment that derives from the knowledge that their membership in a not-for-profit credit union contributes to worthy charitable causes.
The financial services industry however has never been more competitive, especially given the unprecedented growth of online services. Persistent leadership will require continued innovation in technology and services, and an inspired and resourceful employee team that remains attuned to member needs and experience.
Innovation will include continued digital transformation and personalized banking services to reach members through all the touchpoints that are a part of their daily lives.
Our Client’s Guiding Principles
Our client prides itself on the personalized, high-quality service provided to its members, internal customers and co-workers. Their guiding principles emphasize that their members come first, doing the right thing is all-important and that all employees need to strive to make a difference.
Overview of Responsibilities
The Product Manager role is responsible for identifying and translating DCU’s digital product opportunities into a clear roadmap and actionable backlog for the DCU development teams. The Product Manager leads through example, creating order and clarity out of chaos, complexity and ambiguity. In addition, the Product Manager ensures communication, collaboration and delivery of new features that serve DCU’s members and align with the company’s vision and goals.
- Works daily with development teams, internal business partners and support teams to deliver high-impact digital features to members
- Creates and executes product strategy by utilizing business and technical savvy to communicate a big picture vision for the product
- Works with members, potential members and partners in the financial services space to understand DCU members’ needs and find innovative solutions
- Builds and maintains a clear, prioritized and actionable product backlog and roadmap for DCU development teams that align with DCU’s high-level vision and goals
- Partners with Digital Banking Support, Product Marketing, Marketing and other internal teams to successfully plan and execute the launch of new products and functionality
- Periodically reports to leadership and internal business partners on initiatives and ideas
- Occasionally provides direct support to DCU members
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned by Manager(s)
- Less than 10% travel
Experience, Skills, Education
- Strong decision-making and problem-solving abilities even in the context of imperfect information
- Able to lead and influence others, even without authority, and comfortable managing through chaos, ambiguity and complexity
- Skilled at negotiating multiple conflicting priorities and requirements leading to a shared vision
- Action-oriented with a focus on delivering the best digital experience to DCU members
- Metrics-driven with strong analytical and synthesis skills, including the ability to absorb and process large amounts of data into actionable information
- Adaptable to constantly changing member and business needs
- Strong collaboration and communication skills to effectively convey business and member problems to development and design counterparts
- Curious and comfortable holding professional conversations with current and prospective members as well as internal stakeholders at all levels of the organization
- Self-motivated to learn continuously and maximize professional development to stay on top of industry trends and opportunities
- 3+ years’ experience with Agile scrum development and lean principles
- Track record of using qualitative and quantitative data to prioritize and drive decision-making
- Comfortable working cross-organizationally and in hybrid work environments
- Proficient in productivity applications such as MS Office and in collaboration tools such as JIRA and Confluence
- Experience presenting in front of large groups and senior leaders
- Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, business, design, computer science or another applicable field with 5+ years’ experience in a product management role; MBA or other Master’s degree preferred