Director Fraud Prevention
Overview of Responsibilities
Reporting to the SVP of Enterprise Services, the Director of Fraud is responsible for overseeing the Fraud Prevention team’s data analysis and reporting resources and will coordinate these resources with Fraud Prevention management, senior management and cross functional teams to create and deliver fraud prevention tools and decisioning strategy. This person will also be responsible for the implementation of effective fraud solutions across the digital banking, branch, phone, credit card, debit card and ATM channels. This role will work closely with the business teams, Information Systems, key stakeholders and external vendors to ensure fraud solutions are performing as expected, and to prioritize any necessary remediation activities.
- Partner to develop and execute the company’s fraud prevention strategy, including departmental policies and procedures that address fraud prevention, detection, claims and investigation, and fraud loss/root cause analysis.
- Develop and oversee business requirements, end-to-end process maps and project plan execution of fraud prevention solutions and systems enhancements to meet stated business objectives.
- Leverage technology and automation to optimize fraud investigation efforts that achieve timely resolution while sustaining an excellent member experience.
- Partner with various business and support areas such as Digital Experience, Support Services, Members Services and Info-Security to implement effective fraud controls within the digital, branch, credit card, debit card, phone and ATM channels.
- Effectively collaborate with business, Information Systems and risk management leadership along with external vendors to plan, develop and deliver solutions that streamline team member processes, reduce errors and improve overall operating efficiency.
- Complete data driven analyses and leverage internal fraud reporting and dashboards to guide enhancements to front and backend solutions that support fraud prevention within the digital, branch, phone, credit card, debit card and ATM channels.
- Foster and develop relationships/networks within the financial crime and fraud sector, monitor relevant external/material events/threats to adapt fraud operations that result in consistently excellent results.
- Build out the fraud prevention data and analytics team.
- Balance fraud/organizational risk while optimizing member experience.
- Understand and comply with all applicable federal and state laws and banking regulations (including those related to OFAC and Bank Secrecy Act / Anti-Money Laundering compliance) and the company’s policies and procedures.
Experience, Skills, Education
- 10+ years’ experience in fraud prevention or risk management in the banking, financial services, fintech or payments industry.
- 10+ years’ operational experience in the financial services industry
- 7+ years’ project or product management experience in the financial services industry
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills. Uses facts and data as basis for formulating solutions and understanding impacts.
- Knowledge of the payments operations, digital money movement, regulatory requirements, compliance rules, core systems and internal procedures.
- In-depth understanding of the Fraud Prevention environment, including industry best practices, knowledge of vendor/provider space, root causes of fraud losses and standard prevention techniques.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Team leadership and coaching skills.
- Planning/Organizing ability.
- Flexibility, adaptability and ability to handle multiple priorities.
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.