Director of Software Engineering, Pasadena, CA
Our client ’92s flagship product is the most successful consumer robotic product in the world; with US market segment share in excess of 75%, and a sizable lead in Europe as well, according to Adam Fleck of Morningstar. The company is now going through a momentous transition in strategy and culture: from standalone hardware-oriented products to the internet and software-based Connected Home ecosystem that presents potential partners in everything from mobile and voice-enabled devices to add-on home automation functionality. An engineering focus that once prioritized individual product utility has shifted to one emphasizing an overarching cloud-based, connected platform offering a user experience consistent with the aspirational nature of a premium brand.
The Pasadena site contains a significant part of the company ’92s Technology Organization, which focuses on research, technology road-mapping, advanced development and prototyping for transfer to the Engineering team.
The company requires a strong, technically astute and inspirational software development leader and manager with a big-picture systems perspective to grow a new Pasadena Engineering team and bridge smoothly the development of advanced technology and its introduction into the company’s products and roadmap.
Overview of the Role
The company seeks a ‘a0software Director of Engineering who is passionate about developing world-class products, services, and infrastructure to help the company innovate and build quickly and with confidence. The ideal candidate will not only be an excellent team builder, communicator and coordinator, but should be technically strong enough to provide guidance for a world-class software engineering team.
Reporting to the VP of Software Engineering, the Director will be responsible for building and growing a software engineering team from the ground up. This is a highly collaborative position in which it will be essential to communicate effectively with many other teams and stakeholders, including the executive team, Advanced Development/Technology, Hardware Engineering and Product Management.
- Build from scratch, grow and manage a team of embedded software engineers in Pasadena, coordinating and collaborating tightly with the Technology Organization and the software and hardware engineering teams at corporate headquarters in Bedford, MA
- Help set technical direction and drive developer productivity through best-in-class software engineering practices
- Ensure solutions are engineered for a secure, reliable, high performance, highly-available end user experience for the company’s consumer customers
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills by establishing clear goals, objectives and priorities that communicate the organization ’92s vision
- Ensure that programs of record are delivered on schedule with acceptable levels of quality
- Drive empowerment, innovation, teamwork, and enhance customer value
- Work with the company ’92s Chinese ODMs to integrate more tightly product design and development, and manufacturing
- Attract and retain top talent to build a world-class software function in Pasadena and continue to upgrade competencies to meet the future needs of the organization
- Software director with a systems perspective who has led a multisite engineering organization to on-time shipment of high-quality consumer electronics products (i.e. appliances, mobile phones, pads, desktop computers, consoles, entertainment systems, Connected Home devices, application/device processors, etc.)
- Has worked at the nexus of software and electrical engineering and is comfortable with deciding tradeoffs involving electrical and software design
- Highly technical and stays up to date on the latest embedded software trends
- Comfortable in and knowledgeable enough about Linux to get the hiring decisions right
- Knowledgeable about necessary technical tools and engineering operations, knows how to deploy an application
- Proactive, tenacious, get-things-done attitude
- Strong communicator and collaborator who builds rapport within and around teams, and takes the initiative to keep teams, partners and stakeholders on the same page
- Demonstrated ability to provide vision and direction to engineering teams
- Agile software development methodologies and release management experience
- Experience in a Continuous Integration / Delivery environment
- Minimum 10 years of leading embedded software ‘a0engineering teams
- Familiarity with Chinese ODMs
- Experience building embedded software engineering teams from scratch
- Undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science, MS preferred