SR. VP INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY & INNOVATION
According to a 2017 report by Experian, credit unions continue to increase their overall numbers and market share in virtually every area of financial services, ranging from automobile loans (25% increase from 2015-2017), through personal loans, bankcard openings and mortgage loans. Credit union members prefer the benefits of ownership, including a voice in the direction and operations of their financial services institution of choice. They also enjoy the prospect of higher member returns and lower fees, more personalized service, and the sense of fulfillment that derives from the knowledge that their membership in a not-for-profit credit union contributes to worthy charitable causes.
The financial services industry however has never been more competitive, especially given the continued growth of online options. And although our client enjoys a favored position within the industry as one of the largest U.S. credit unions by assets, with 23 branches and almost 1500 employees, persistent leadership will require continued innovation in services and technology, and an inspired and resourceful employee team that remains attuned to member needs, ongoing security and compliance requirements and institutional mission in order to offer ever more benefits, options and transaction safety, as well as ease of access and use to membership.
Technical innovation will include continued digital transformation and contextual banking initiatives to reach members through all the touchpoints that are a part of their daily lives. It will also mean continuing to evolve the use of data analytics from which to gain ever deeper insights into service quality, risk management and operational efficiency. Development and implementation of cutting-edge technologies such as machine learning/deep learning will, among other things, bring expertise closer to members who are researching options/seeking answers related to financial management and opportunities. These new technologies will also further automate simple tasks and improve overall functionality, as well as continue to increase member loyalty and service and enrich employee training.
With its FinTech innovation initiative and its partnership with university computer science departments, both of which initiatives will report to this SVP, our client has already established itself as an innovation driver. As the top technical executive in the company, the new SVP of Information Technology and Innovation will have the opportunity to build upon this foundation and place his or her own imprimatur on the company and the industry as a whole.
Our client’s Guiding Principles are: People come first. Do the right thing. Make a difference.
- Lead, manage and drive strategy and execution for the 100+ IT and Innovation organization and its associated operations and initiatives covering FinTech Innovation, the Technical Project Management Office, Infrastructure, Information Security, Custom Onshore and Offshore Application Development, Software R&D, and QA and Desktop Support. This includes overseeing risk management, internal technical audits, fraud and loss prevention, and regulatory compliance. Ensure capacity, availability, security, recoverability, and continuous improvement of the credit union’s systems infrastructure.
- Serve as a member of the 7-person senior executive team dealing with strategy, policy and operational initiatives
- Identify and manage emerging information technology opportunities and risks to ensure the credit union is well positioned to capitalize on and continuously improve systems, automation and infrastructure in the present and well into the future.
- Identify and manage emerging risk, laws, regulations, and compliance challenges to minimize the exposure to the credit union, staff and members. This will be accomplished through combinations of research, education, best practices, procedures, policies, legal guidance, insurance and related controls.
- Identify, build and manage strategic projects/initiatives to ensure systems, infrastructure, data, and related technologies are optimal for the mission of the credit union today and into the future.
- Ensure system development and reporting are accurate and controlled with industry best practices.
- Manage third-party solution providers to ensure smooth adoption and operation of technology solutions.
- Track and report status of outstanding audit findings and resolutions and associated responses.
- Monitor compliance with laws, regulations and standards. Follow industry news to maintain ongoing awareness of industry proposals and opportunities for relevant innovation. Make recommendations for policy revisions as deemed necessary (i.e. changes in industry practices, new NCUA regulations). Ensure adequate regulatory compliance company-wide, performing daily, weekly and quarterly control reviews.
- Oversee the Security Program, ensuring that a formal security program is developed and implemented in accordance with regulatory requirements. Investigate both internal and external technology-related crimes committed or attempted against the organization. Assess the internal control environment of each such incident.
- Ensure the development and maintenance of standard operating procedures within areas of responsibility and that these procedures are written, communicated and followed.
- Complete all required Bank Secrecy Act related training annually and maintain knowledge of current BSA policies, specifically those related to cash handling (CTR filing) and identifying and reporting possible suspicious activity.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer.
- An inspirational and effective Information Technology leader, strategic thinker, operational manager and team player capable of overseeing a high-growth, complex technical organization while serving as a collaborative member of the senior executive team and the company as a whole
- Demonstrable financial industry knowledge with a minimum of 10 years of experience, preferably in progressive, innovative work environments and at the CIO, EVP, SVP or VP level
- Proven leadership, communication and human relations skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- High level of organizational skills
- Bachelor’s Degree required, advanced/ongoing training and education preferred